Tuesday, 1 August 2017

My CHILDREN'S RAILWAY BOOKS.

Hi. I have decided to show you a selection of Children's Railway Books which are of the type presented to me in the early 1960s by my older Cousin - David Jenkins.

The DEAN Book - 'My TRAINS Picture Book'.
First Published in 1959 as Illustrated by W. Baldwin.

The Cornish Riviera Express on the way to Penzance.
The express is hauled by a Western Region "King" Class Locomotive.

An old Pannier Tank shown being watered.
This is one of my favorite pictures from the DEAN Book.

'The Ladybird Book of BRITISH RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVES'.
Published in 1958 the Ladybird Book covers all the main Steam and Diesels.

Shown in the Ladybird Book on page 9 is the West Country Class and Castle Class.
The color images were done from photographs courtesy of BRITISH RAILWAYS.

'The GOLDEN Picture Book of RAILWAYS'.
With Cover Art by T.E.North.

This is a typical page from the Golden Book.
I certainly remember such side-on black and white photos of Locomotives -such as the 'BALTIC' and in motion photos such as the "Flying Scotsman".

REMARKS:

I just adore these Books and I am certainly glad that I have been able to replace these books now near sixty years latter. The condition of the Books are excellent - except that the DEAN book has near lost it's spine - however, the content pages are in superb condition.

I count myself very fortunate indeed.

Until next time....
Cheers.
KEV.



4 comments:

  1. I had a copy of the Ladybird book as a child !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony- wow, a Ladybird book - that is a co-incidence...it is a fabulous little book jammed packed with very useful information...my copy is in pristine condition and I can hardly believe that I only paid $7 for it- absolute bargain. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    2. They certainly knew how to publish books that delight, educate and fascinate the young at heart.

      Delete
    3. Ross,
      Yes - those children's books from the 1960s certainly do present proper information - I have a number of Annuals that are simply jammed packed with very useful information and great artistry. Yes- they tend to keep you young- at least in spirit and mind anyhow. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete