Saturday, 4 March 2017

GETTING Back to Basics -WARGAMES FOUNDRY Colonials.

Hi. Finally I've settled on what I want to do. Last night I placed an order with Wargames Foundry in the UK for a number of figures which I did have long ago - though foolishly sold- I yearn to have my Colonial Collection back again in 28mm- starting this month.


Way back in the late 1980's I began my collecting of Wargames Foundry with a host of figures as sculpted by Michael and Alan Perry. I basically had Crimea Types and Indian Mutiny - there wasn't an overall scenario then and a few games were played- I sold the collection. Around 2008 I re-built the collection with WGF figures mainly concentrating on Crimea types and Prussians - a few unsatisfactory games were played - again I sold the Collection.

Yesterday - it occurred to me that I should re-visit a time when I was most happy with my Miniatures - that was indeed back in the late 1980's collecting War Games Foundry figures from the UK.

At this stage I intend to collect and paint up a British Naval Brigade - probably under 30 figures in total - and build a British Gunboat ( with Launches ). For my 'Enemy' I have chosen to collect Indian Mutineers - again a small force possibly a little over 30 figures.

I intend to play SOLO Games with rules devised or inspired by Donald Featherstone for Skirmish Games or those produced  for Skirmish games  by Michael Perry  titled- 'Lunch In the Crimea'.

As for Scenarios: I have it in mind that the Setting will be a sort of Colonial Fiction / Victorian Science Fiction....for some time I've thought about a type of Setting for the Games that will be something like the famed Computer Game - 'Myst'.....I've yet to expand on the concept and develop some Fictional background History for the Figures and Settings.....it isn't all that important - though I'd like to have it sorted just the same.

For actual small games I see the Scenarios featuring my Gunboat 'HMS Thistle' and the Royal Navy as they do battle with Indian styled Tribesmen....it all could be under the Title:-
                                      'The Adventures of HMS Thistle'.

I like where I'm at - there is a very good deal of modelling to be done. I will certainly enjoy the figure painting - especially the British sailors....there is the Gunboat HMS Thistle to be designed and built along with other vessels....plenty of buildings and structures to be made which need designing and building. Yes- very much looking forwards to a series of SOLO Skirmishes on my 5'6" x 13' Games Table.

My only regret is I should have started this all long ago and not wasted a lot of time, energy and savings on other things - yes, the time has certainly arrived to concentrate on this Project.

Cheers.
KEV.



6 comments:

  1. These Foundry figures have stood the test of time , they must be nearly 30 years old now , Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      Absolutely Yes - the WGF figures are old- and I'm surprised that the molders are still churning them out at the Foundry. I'm very fond of them. Looking forward to my order arriving in a couple of weeks time - cannot wait! It will be FAB. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
  2. We have all been there Kev, I am seriously tempted by the Pony Wars, but having done it 20 years ago and sold it, I so regret it now :-)
    These will be agreat addition to your collection.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suart,
      Yes- strange how we have managed to part with collections of earlier years only to later yearn for their return. Fortunately for me that the WGF Colonials I had near 30 years ago are still available- I consider myself very lucky in this regard. It will be a few weeks yet for the WGF figure order to arrive- in the mean time I can do some planning and designs. Hope you can get back to Pony Wars Stuart. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan. I hope you enjoy working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross,
      Yes - I'm pleased with the Plan - it has taken a few weeks and unfortunately some wasted time and funds to arrive at it- now I'm there in the zone where I'm happiest with what I have in mind for this Project...very much looking forward the the arrival of the WGF Colonial Figures and their painting and basing. I look forward eagerly to the designs and building to be done. It will all work out well for Solo Skirmish games. Very pleased indeed. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete